6th International Conference on Chinese as a Second Language Research
| Registration | Plenaries | Workshops | Program | Organizers | History |
About CASLAR-6 2021
CASLAR (Chinese as a Second Language Research) is a biennial conference with the goal to bring together scholars from all over the world whose research focuses on the acquisition, development and use of Chinese as a second language to survey available knowledge in the field, exchange ideas and initiate research projects. The conference is a part of the CASLAR movement that aims to transform a field from a primarily experienced-and practice-based discipline into a discipline based on and supported by research and theory.
| Email Organizing Committee | Visit CASLAR Website |
Registration and Fees
The registration fee covers access to all activities indicated in the conference program, including plenaries, breakout sessions, roundtables, and workshops.
|Full-Time Students||$30 USD||$50 USD|
|All Other Participants||$50 USD||$70 USD|
Please read the notes below first before registration.
- The credit card processor on Eventbrite (the registration website) adds surcharges to all payments. The CASLAR-6 conference does not receive any portion of this fee.
- CASLAR-6 will NOT be accepting any requests for refunds.
- You will receive an email confirming your registration within a few minutes after submitting your registration. The receipt of this email confirms your successful registration for CASLAR-6. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of completing your online registration (please remember to check your spam/junk folder), it means that your registration was not submitted successfully, and you will need to complete and submit the registration form again to ensure eligibility to participate in the conference. Please also confirm that your email address was spelled correctly. You will need to use the email address you use to register to access the conference.
- The first 250 registered attendees (first come, first served) will use the Sched platform to access all conference content.
- Any attendee who would like to receive a K-12 Professional Development Point (PDP) certificate should contact the Organizing Committee at [email protected] no later than the end of the day on August 1, 2021.
- 有意取得K-12专业培训点数证书者，请在2021年8月1日前通过电子邮件（[email protected])与组委会联系。
The CASLAR-6 conference is co-organized by the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (EALL), and East Asian National Resource Center (NRC), the George Washington University (GW). The GW Foggy Bottom Campus is conveniently located in the heart of Washington, D.C., close to the White House, the Kennedy Center and a number of federal and international agencies.
The Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures (EALL) at the George Washington University focuses on the teaching and research of the Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages and cultures, both classical and modern. The department offers majors and minors in all three East Asian languages and the MA program in Chinese Language and Culture. A major in EALL will achieve an advanced competence in one of the three languages and a deep knowledge of the literary and cultural tradition of the region represented by the language.
The East Asia National Resource Center (NRC) at the George Washington University is funded by the U.S. Department of Education’s Title VI programs, National Resource Centers and Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships. The goal of NRC is to address a national need for greater knowledge and expertise on East Asia through expanded language instruction, area studies educational programs, outreach and teacher training. The NRC also seeks to provide historically underrepresented communities with academic and professional opportunities, resources, and access to expertise that encourage public service and facilitate critical discussion on issues of global importance. With GW having the largest and most influential Asian studies program in the D.C. area, the NRC’s aim is to facilitate the university’s ability to share that knowledge with the broader public. The programs of NRC support international and foreign language education.
Organizing Committee (in alphabetical order):
- Liana Chen, Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, GWU
- Matt Coss, Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, GWU
- Hongyuan Dong, Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, GWU
- Richard Haddock, East Asia National Resource Center, GWU
- Shoko Hamano, Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, GWU
- Miaochun Wei, Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, GWU
- Phyllis Zhang, Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, GWU
- Hang Zhang, Dept. of East Asian Languages and Literatures, GWU
- Hang Zhang, Associate Professor of Chinese Language and Linguistics, EALL, George Washington University, USA.
- Distinguished Professor Istvan Kecskes, Chairman of CASLAR, Editor-in-Chief of Intercultural Pragmatics and the CASLAR journal, State University of New York, Albany, USA.
Staff: (Alphabetical order)
- Kayla Garrett (Georgetown University)
- Ben Levine (The George Washington University)
- Katarina Micklus (The George Washington University)
- Siyu Shen (The George Washington University)
- Yidan (Chloe) Xie (Alice Deal Middle School)
- Liming Yan (The University of Maryland, College Park)
- Shizhan Yuan (The George Washington University)
- Anan Zhao (The George Washington University)
- Mimi Zhou (The George Washington University)
- Yuanyuan Zou (The George Washington University)
Zhiqi Gong, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center
The first CASLAR conference was held at Zhejiang University, Hangzhou in 2010, the second one was in Taipei, Taiwan in 2012, the third conference was held in Parma, Italy in 2014 , CASLAR-4 was held at East China Normal University, China in 2016, and CASLAR-5 was held at University of Hong Kong in 2018. Another means supporting the CASLAR movement is a bilingual journal Chinese as a Second Language Research 漢語作為第二語言研究 published by De Gruyter Mouton; Berlin/New York. Copies of the journal will be available at the conference. Visit the journal website.